home > stories > 14 spa-style bathrooms you’ll want to check-in to, asap
14 spa-style bathrooms you’ll want to check-in to, ASAP
These relaxing spaces are guaranteed to help you get your zen on...
written on: 08-06-2018 10:30am
1. Okay: let's begin with the most spa-ified bathroom we can find In fact, we're not even entirely sure this is a bathroom - rather, it looks like something that's tumbled out of a five-star resort. But nope; it's a real-life, living, breathing sauna and steam room set-up that you can absolutely have installed into your home (space and budget permitting, of course). Design by C.P. Hart.
2. Colour contrasts Matt walls and muted metallics combine to create this super-luxe set-up. As relaxing as it is stylish, a sumptuous colour scheme will add some serious high-class relaxation to any bathroom - including yours!
3. Lower yourself ...Into a sunken tub. If you've got the space, this makes for a seriously decadent, oh-so zen bath alternative, which will bring you to the same level as nature.
4. Light it up Using coloured fittings will add a hazy, relaxing vibe to your space. Steer clear of harsh strip lighting that can feel overly artificial; instead opt for softer, warmer shades.
5. Colour match Naturally, when it comes to the decorative aesthetic of your bathroom, certain colours will lend themselves to your walls more than others. We're talking soft greys, barely-there pastels, cool neutrals... Nothing too brash, attention-grabbing or quirky - rather, keep things muted and relaxed.
6. Make sure your bathing essentials are to-hand Because, quite frankly, there's nothing relaxing about having to slip-and-slide your way to the other side of the bathroom because you forgot to bring your flannel into the shower with you. Just saying.
7. Incorporate natural elements We love the look of this chilled bathroom, with a combination of exposed and luscious greenery sitting beautifully in front of those clean white walls.
8. Pick details that enhance the vibe you want to create Select the just-right accessories that will really bring the relaxing atmosphere you want to create to life. Every detail matters, from the products on your window sill to the light fitting - we love this stripped-back-yet-statement pendant fitting.
9. Hide your tub L-shaped bathroom? Tuck your bath in the more-concealed part of the space to create a more secluded, intimate feel.
10. Use luxurious materials The secret to incorporating obviously luxe textures (such as marble or on-trend concrete) into your space is to avoid over-doing the look. Rather, blend it alongside something else; for example, here, marble is contrasted with sleek black lacquer walls to create an air of effortless sophistication and opulence. FYI, the bathroom design shown here is byTony Chi & Associates.
11. Position your main bathing area in front of a view If your bathroom overlooks a stunning backdrop, make sure you incorporate it into your redesign plans. This dreamy spa-style retreat is from Villeroy & Boch.
If not, look into decal or wall art options to create a faux but just as wow-worthy panoramic for you to enjoy as you bathe.
12. Consider a corner There's something to be said for a spacious tub, perfectly nestled into a right angle.
13. Pick an artistic shape Seek a design-forward tub to add a futuristic twist to your bathroom - super cool and super home-spa-worthy, too.
14. And finally! Why not put a tub in your bedroom? Because there's arguably nothing more decadent than having a long, oily soak with your pillows in sight.
NEXT! Want more spa-worthy inspiration for your bathroom? Browse our moodboard of zen-tastic ideas below.
This is what your bathroom should look like according to your star sign
Yep - your horoscope might just be able to help you work out the finer details...
The three realities of living with a period fireplace
From A Weird Thump™ through to the never-ending desire to dust...
Katie Byrne is a writer, editor and filter fan (Instagram, not coffee), and lives in a Georgian-built flat that features various statement cobwebs.