A metamorphic rock that forms when limestone is heated, marble usually contains materials including quartz, pryite and graphite. Science lesson aside, marble is available in a range of colours, from warm oranges to cool blues. The sleek rock is hardy, enduring and utterly timeless.
Whether it's the columns outside a front door, the floor of a sweeping hallway or the top of a kitchen island, there are so many ways to incorporate marble into your home, including your bathroom.
Read on for some marvellous (marble-ous, some might say...) ideas for adding a decadent twist of marble into your bathroom - from the subtle to the extravagant!
1. Use marble as the perfect splashback for the sink Clever at concealing marks and relatively simple to clean (make it regular rather than allowing toothpaste stains et. al build up), marble makes a low-maintenance option for the splashback area behind your sink.
2. Incorporate a marble wall into your shower area Whether you want to draw attention to your shower as a key feature or simply want to add an accent of colour and texture, this is a neat way to add a glamorous twist to any shower, regardless of the space available.
3. Up the elegance of your flooring Proud owner of a larger bathroom? Consider marble flooring, for a luxurious hotel-style feel. Looks gorgeous in spaces with higher ceilings, whilst clever lighting will add a cosy glow.
4. Install a freestanding basin If you've got the space to play with - and the aesthetic desire to match - why not install a unique freestanding marble sink?
5. For the ultimate in bathing luxe, seek out a marble bath tub For #extra points, install a tub carved from marble itself.
For a more subtle statement, opt for a bath with a marble exterior and an all-white interior for the perfect blend of classic-meets-modern.
6. Pick a marble vanity Just imagine getting ready in front of this each morning - seriously! Let mirrors and lighting complete the look.
7. Contrast the marble with bold colours The perfect setting for your marble, however you choose to incorporate it? A bathroom with a strong style scheme, naturally; think strong, calming colours that will add to the zen-like feel of your space.
8. ...Or juxtapose it with metals Alternatively, for the ultra in luxury, contrast marble with glamorous gold fittings. (Or any precious metal, really; rose gold or copper would make a gorgeous contrast, too.)