Choosing the perfect wedding cake for your celebration will be a breeze with our top 10 tips..
1. When it comes to the style of your cake, take inspiration from your colour scheme, wedding venue and even details on your wedding dress.
2. A good wedding cake designer will ask for as much detail of your big day as possible to help him or her come up with some suitable ideas.
3. Look for a cake designer who specialises in the style of cake you're looking for. If you have your heart set on a chocolate wedding cake, for example, find a chocolate expert.
4. When choosing your cake designer, ask to see examples of cakes they have already made and be sure to have a taste - it's important that a cake tastes as good as it looks!
5. When it comes to the cake filling, while fruit cake is the traditional choice, there are many other options such as carrot cake, lemon cake, and, of course, chocolate. You might even decide to have a different flavour for each tier!
6. Consider having a cake that's slightly bigger than you need. That way, you can save a slice for guests unable to attend, and enjoy some when you get back from honeymoon. Bear in mind that fruit cake is the only filling that will still taste great a few months after the wedding.
7. Be sure to cater for guests with nut allergies. Some cake makers will make nut-free cakes, or you could have a small cake (perhaps a fairy cake or even a cookie) created especially for them. Alternatively, you need to let guests with allergies know they should avoid the cake.
8. Consider serving your cake in the evening, or instead of pudding. Serving it with ice cream, chocolate sauce, or a fruit coulis is also a great idea.
9. As an alternative to the traditional tiered cake, consider having a croquembouche (a French profiterole tower), cupcakes, miniature cakes, or even a pavlova tower.
10. Always ask the cake designer whether they will transport and arrange the cake at your venue. Bear in mind that fresh patisserie needs to be made the day before, so it isn't a good idea if you're getting married a long distance from the cake designer.